Mystery Persists in Child’s Disappearance from National Park

dennismartinIt is one of America’s most famous missing person’s case, the vanishing of six year old Dennis Martin from the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in Tennessee on June 14th, 1969.  Martin had been in the area of Spence Field.   Martin had been playing hide and seek with his brother and some older children when he hid behind a bush and has never been seen alive since.  A massive search and rescue took place that involved over a thousand volunteers which included Police, Green Berets, FBI Agents, Park Rangers and Helicopters.  The day after he went missing, a heavy rain and then mist complicated the efforts to find him alive.

There are several theories that have ranged from Martin wandering off and getting lost, to abduction by a stranger, to being killed by a bear or other animal.  In 1985 a person came forward claiming that he had seen the skeletal remains of a young child in the park years earlier but never came forward.  Martin’s father believes that his son was the victim of a stranger abduction and some people support that theory.  For more information about this case read the book “Forever Searching” by Michael Bouchard.  Link is here at Forever Searching

For files released to a member of the public please view this pdf file.  1969 Dennis Martin File NPS files


Another Victim of the Ku Klux Klan?

The 1960s in the Deep South was a battleground of change. There was an old guard that was resistant to change. The Ku Klux Klan was the main group that would resort to violence against Americans of African ancestry and persons of other ethnic groups that worked for civil rights advancement. Clifton Walker was a World War Two Veteran who many believed was as victim of racial violence. On February 28, 1964, he was driving in a rural part of southwestern Mississippi. He was on his way to the town of Woodville. He took a shortcut on Poor House Road which proved fatal. It was an area that was not safe for any black or brown person to be on. It is alleged that several men with shotguns surrounded Walker’s 1961 Chevrolet Impala and shot him to death. The Civil Rights Cold Case Project has been working on this case. For more information visit


Suspect Still Not Found After Store Massacre

belokillerUnidentified North Carolina Killer It was June 6, 1993 in the town of Windsor, North Carolina where Law Enforcement came upon a horrible crime scene. A black male suspect came into the store and collared six people in the store at gun point and bound them with duct tape. They were taken to the meat cutting room where he proceeded to shoot them and even stab them. Three victims died and two others injured. The three people that died were Bud Cecil, Joyce Reason, and Johnnie Rankins.
The suspect is described as medium complexion black male around 6′ to 6′ 2″ tall. He is estimated to weight between 170 to 200 pounds. He has a slender build and at the time of the attack had a military-style haircut. He was also described as having slanted eyes and a narrow nose bridge.

If you have any information about who this suspect is, please call the Windsor Police Department at 252-794-3111. You can remain anonymous.


Road Rage Leads To Cowardly Death of Two Year Old


laylawashingtonLaylah Washington deserved better. She was just an innocent two year old in the back of her mother’s car when an individual accompanied by three others shot at her mother’s car after an argument. More that $20,000 dollars has been offered as a reward for the conviction of the persons responsible for her murder in the Hickory Hill section of Memphis, Tennessee. A verbal argument occurred between Layla’s mother and the occupants of a dark colored sedan. When the Layla’s mother left with her two sons and daughter, the car followed and opened fire. Layla was critically wounded and died in a hospital two days later on June 11, 2017.
Four people in that car knew what happened. They had to act tough and now a baby is dead and a family is scarred for life.

If you have any information about this case please call the Memphis Police department at 901.636.3300.


DNA Testing Proves that Prime Suspect in Rape/Murder of Nun was not Killer


westvirginianun.jpgIt is one of the most infamous cold cases in West Virginia History.  It was on June 13, 1977 when 26 year old Roberta Elam  was raped and murdered on the grounds of Mount Saint Joseph’s Convent, near the town of Wheeling, West Virginia.  What made the crime even more notorious was that Elam was a Postulant Nun and that the crime occurred during the daytime within eyesight of the nearby Oglebay golf course and the convent.  Her partially clad body was found at 2pm.  She had last been seen leaving the kitchen at 10:30am.  The Convent Groundskeeper and his wife found her body which was partially clothed body a few hundred yards from the convent.   The Killer had strangled her.

Elam had been staying at the convent studying and hoping to become a fully ordained nun.  For several years, police had a prime suspect, a convicted murderer who was in the area at the time of Elam’s slaying.  The suspect would die in prison but a DNA sample taken from him revealed that he was not Elam’s killer.  Police have looked at various people that stayed and worked at the convent.  To date, no one has been charged in her murder.

If you have any information about this case, please contact the West Virginia State Polcie at 304-746-2100.


This site is NOT a registered non-profit organization and any donations will NOT be tax-deductible. If you wish to donate a small amount of money to help with site research, it is much appreciated.